Because of its immense popularity, many people try Fortnite just to see what all the fuss is about. They make an account, enter a ridiculous username, and begin playing with no expectations of getting much out of the game. If they want to keep playing, they frequently regret the name they chose at first. Others simply want to change a username they no longer want.
You can update your Fortnite username on all platforms using the instructions in this guide.
How to Change Your Fortnite Username on an Android Device
It’s easy to change your username if you’re playing Fortnite on a mobile device. You will need to change it on the Epic Games website because the game doesn’t have its own website and instead depends on it for all of its settings. Do the following to achieve that:
- Open to the Fortnite website using your preferred mobile browser.
- If you haven’t already, you can now sign in to your account. If you’ve already logged in, skip to Step 7. Sign in by tapping the three lines icon in the upper right corner of your screen. Click the Sign in button.
- Tap the icon for the sign-in method you want to use.
- Enter your username and password, then click the Log In Now button to continue.
- You’ll return to the home page after logging in. Tap the three lines icon in the top right corner of the screen, then type your username.
- Tap Account from the menu that appears.
- Account Settings are at the very bottom of the page. Your display name will be greyed out. To the right of it, press the edit button. It’s the button with the blue pencil.
- Enter your desired username in the username textbox, then enter it again in the confirm display name textbox. Then press the Confirm button.
- Now, your display name ought to be updated. You can move past this screen and carry on with the game.
How To Change Your Fortnite Username On An iPhone
Since the change happens on the Epic Games Accounts page rather than the app, changing a username on a mobile device is platform-independent. To change the username on your iPhone, adhere to the directions given above. They are exchangeable. The only distinction is that you utilize Safari as opposed to a different web browser.
How to Change Your Fortnite Username on an Xbox One
The display names of console users are not connected to their Epic Games accounts. They depend on the console service providers instead. This suggests that your Xbox Gamertag on your Xbox One is connected to your Fortnite display name. Changing your Xbox Gamertag has an impact on all games, not just Fortnite; it’s important to note. Take the following actions to achieve this:
- Keep your controller’s Xbox button pressed.
- Go to Profile & System, then select your current Gamertag.
- Select My Profile.
- Choose Customize Profile.
- Enter the new Gamertag you want to use under the Choose new Gamertag tab. You can also choose one of the suggested Gamertags. Select More suggestions to see an additional list of suggested usernames.
- Check Availability to determine whether the Gamertag has already been claimed. If it is, choose a different name or modify the current one to make it distinct. If no one else is using your option, confirm it.
- You can now exit the system’s interface.
Using a browser to change your Gamertag
- Go to your Microsoft Account by launching a web browser.
- Select your username.
- Scroll down and choose The Xbox Profile page.
- Select Customize Profile.
- To the right of your Gamertag, click the Change Gamertag symbol.
- You can also go straight to the change Gamertag screen by clicking on this link.
- Enter your new Gamertag, then hit the Check Availability button. If it isn’t, adjust it till it is. Alternatively, click Change Gamertag.
- Your Gamertag should be changed now.
How to Change Your Fortnite Username on a PS4
The PSN Name is used as the game’s username on the PlayStation 4, just like on the Xbox. You must first modify your PSN name before changing it in Fortnite. Keep in mind that this impacts all of your PlayStation Network games. How to do it is as follows:
- You can now exit the system’s interface.
- Navigate to Settings on your PS4’s home page.
- Select Account Management from the drop-down option.
- Choose Account Information.
- Scroll down and click Profile.
- Select an Online ID.
- On the resulting window, click I Accept. Please keep in mind that you are changing the name of your whole PSN account. Any other game whose progress is linked to that ID may have its data erased. If you agree, click the Continue button.
- Here, you will be able to input your new Online ID. You can do this right now or select one of the options on the right. Click Refresh if you want to see more choices.
- After you’ve entered your new Online ID, click Confirm. If the ID isn’t available, you’ll have to try again until you locate one that isn’t in use.
- Get off of this screen by navigating. By now, your name ought to have been changed.
Changing a Browser’s Online ID
- Start a PlayStation Network account. Select PSN Profile from the menu.
- Chose the Edit button next to your Online ID.
- Choose an option from the list or enter your preferred Online ID.
- The instructions are displayed on the screen. Click the confirm button after making any necessary changes to your Online ID.
How to Change Your Fortnite Username on Windows or Mac
On a PC or Mac, changing the display name is very similar because it is done through the Epic Games website.
- Enter the website for Epic Games using your preferred browser.
- Hover your mouse over your username. It is located in the page’s upper right corner. From the menu that appears, choose Account.
- Your Display Name can be found under Account Info on the Generals page. Click the Edit button next to it.
- Enter your new Display Name in the resulting window, then click Confirm.
- Your Display name should be updated now. You may now exit the website.
How to Change Your Fortnite Username on a Nintendo Switch
Fortnite on the Nintendo Switch also makes use of the Display names from the Epic Games accounts. To change it, you must go to the Epic Games website. You can accomplish this by going to the page on your PC, Mac, or mobile device. Following the methods mentioned above for changing usernames through a PC, open the site.
Upgrade from a console account to a full Epic Games account
Consider upgrading to a full account if you play Fortnite on a console or across multiple platforms without first signing up with Epic Games. This makes it possible for you to transfer your progress between consoles. This might be a great idea because Fortnite supports Crossplay. To make this happen:
- Open to the Epic Games website using a web browser.
- Check that you are currently signed out. If not, please exit now.
- Click Sign In in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select the icon for the platform where you have an account, such as Xbox or PSN. This can also be selected if you have a Nintendo Switch.
- You’ll be taken to your platform’s account. Enter your login information.
- You will be returned to Epic Games when you are finished. You won’t be redirected to Epic Games if there are no progress records for this account. Please make sure you are signed into the right account by checking it twice.
- Enter the required information, then click Create Account.
Frequently Asked Question
Is it free to change your Fortnite username?
Depending on what platform you’re using, the answer to this varies. It is totally free if you are using the mobile version on an Android or iOS device. For the Nintendo Switch version, the same is true. A free name change is available for the PC version as well. You won’t be charged for any additional display name changes you make because changing your username is linked to Epic Games.
If you use the Xbox One or PlayStation 4 console versions, the opposite is not true. Only if you are changing your Gamertag or PSN name for the first time will editing your account name be free. Any extra alterations will require payment. For subsequent revisions after the initial one, Xbox and PlayStation also demand money. Currently, each edit on both platforms costs $10.00.
How often are username changes allowed in Fortnite?
You are permitted to change your username once every two weeks using your Epic Games account. This implies that you will have to wait two weeks after each change if you use Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, or PC.
Users can alter their account names as frequently as they’d like. However, PlayStation and Xbox charge a fee for this service.