While Google Maps is the most popular map app in the United States, iPhone users are forced to use Apple Maps by default. You must be prepared to give up some things if you prefer Google Maps to be your iPhone’s default map app.
How Do I Change My iPhone’s Default Map App?
Unfortunately, there is no method to set the iPhone’s default map app. Although you can change the iPhone’s default apps, such as your web browser, Apple does not presently provide this feature for any iOS map apps, including Google Maps.
How Do I Set Google Maps As My Default App on iOS 14?
The only way to emulate having Google Maps as your default map app on iOS 14 is to use other Google apps as your default apps (if you don’t already), as opposed to jailbreaking your iPhone, which isn’t advised and is against the iPhone’s terms of service.
Because Google’s apps are designed to work together, using Google Maps as your preferred map app provides a lot of flexibility. The two most important apps to use are Chrome as your default web browser and Gmail as your default email app.
How To Make Chrome Your Default Web Browser In Order To Use Google Maps
In Chrome, a location’s address will open Google Maps when you tap on it.
- Open Settings.
- Scroll down your app list and select Chrome.
Tip: If you don’t already have Chrome for iOS, get it now.
- Select Default Browser App.
- Select Chrome.
- Now, Chrome will ask you whether you want to view an address’ location in Apple Maps or Google Maps when you tap an address to do so.
How To Make Gmail Your Default Email App In Order To Use Google Maps
If you want to open location addresses you receive via email in Google Maps, you must use Gmail as your default email app.
- Open Settings.
- Scroll down your list of apps and select Gmail.
Tip: If you don’t already have it, download Gmail for iOS.
- Select Default Mail App.
- Select Gmail.
- Close Settings and launch Gmail.
- Click the menu icon located in the upper-left corner of the search bar.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom of the menu and select Settings.
- Select Default apps.
- Tap Google Maps under Navigate from your location, then Google Maps again under Navigate between locations.
- When you tap on an address in a Gmail message, you’ll be asked whether you want to view it in Apple Maps or Google Maps.
Frequently Asked Question
How Can I Make Google Maps Timeline Operate By default On An iPhone?
Tap your profile icon > Settings > Personal content > Location settings > Location Services is turned on to save location history on your iPhone with Google Maps Timeline. Then, from your Google account Activity Controls, allow location history. Then, under your profile picture > Your Timeline, examine your history in the Google Maps app on your iPhone.
How Do I Set Google Maps As The Default App On An iPhone Running iOS 10?
Unfortunately, in iOS 14 and later, you can only change the default mail and browser apps. Gmail may be set as the default mail app on your iPhone via the Gmail app settings, or you can select from a variety of other options such as Hey or Spark. You can alternatively use DuckDuckGo, Firefox, Chrome, or Microsoft Edge instead of Safari as your browser.