- The PS5 does not come with Bluetooth headphones like the AirPods. A Bluetooth adapter can be used to add support.
- You may only hear audio and not be able to chat with other players depending on how you connect the AirPods.
- Latency with Bluetooth headphones degrades performance and may be unacceptable to the most demanding gamers.
This article explains in detail how to connect airpods to playstation5 and other components you need.
What You’ll Need to Connect AirPods to a PlayStation 5
Although it may appear difficult to believe given that the PS5 is the latest and greatest video game console, it does not initially support Bluetooth audio. That means that unless you buy an accessory, you won’t be able to use any Bluetooth headphones with the PlayStation 5, including AirPods.
Although the PS5 does support some Bluetooth accessories and can detect your AirPods or other headphones, the pairing process fails at the final step. Epic blunder!
This limitation can be overcome with a Bluetooth audio adapter that plugs into the console. Fortunately, there are numerous Bluetooth adapters available, and they are all reasonably priced (around $50). Adapters connect to the PS5’s USB ports, your TV’s USB ports, or the PS5 controller’s headphone jack. They all work in the same way, so pick the one that appeals to you.
Note: While this article focuses on connecting AirPods to the PS5, the instructions apply to any Bluetooth headphones (or another Bluetooth device).
How to Connect AirPods Work with a PlayStation 5
Follow these steps to connect AirPods to PS5.
- Check that your AirPods are charged. Make sure your Bluetooth adapter is charged if it connects to the PS5 controller and requires a battery. Adapters that plug into the PS5 or TeleVision are powered by those devices and do not require charging.
- Connect your PS5, TV, or controller to the Bluetooth adapter.
- Switch the Bluetooth adapter to pairing mode. Check the instructions because different devices enter pairing mode in slightly different ways. A blinking light usually indicates that it is in pairing mode.
- Make sure the AirPods are in their charging case before opening it. Hold down the button on the case.
- Hold the AirPods case button down until the Bluetooth adapter’s light turns solid. That means the AirPods are connected to the adapter.
- Put the AirPods into your ears. On the PS5, try playing a game or doing something that uses audio. The audio from the PS5 should be audible through your AirPods.
What Should You Do If You Can’t Hear Audio?
If you’ve done everything else and still can’t hear anything from your AirPods, double-check that they’re correctly paired to your PS5.
- Choose Settings from the Home screen.
- Select Sound.
- Select Audio Output.
- Choose an output device.
- On the following screen, choose your Bluetooth device.
Note: In the Settings Accessories area, you may also find useful settings.
Can You Communicate with Other PS5 Gamers Using AirPods?
When using AirPods or other Bluetooth headphones with the PS5, there are two significant limitations.
To begin, Bluetooth headphones typically have some latency (also known as delay) between what you see onscreen and what you hear. This is because of the way Bluetooth transfers audio to the headphones. The audio delay with AirPods may be intolerable if you require very high performance from your gaming.
Second, even though AirPods contain a microphone (they can be used to answer phone calls, after all), they cannot be used to interact with other gamers. You’ll need headsets designed for the PS5 or a Bluetooth adaptor with a microphone that plugs into the PlayStation controller for this.
If you want to go all out, Apple’s high-end AirPods Max headphones are also available. They include a headphone wire for connecting the AirPods Max to the PS5 controller. Just be sure to alter the audio output and microphone input settings.